- Use a font size that is appropriate for your audience, 13pt to 15pt are often recommended.
- You should be able to easily skim each paragraph.
- Use indentation, short sentences, and 2-3 sentences per paragraph.
- Use bold, italic and underlines for key messages.
- Use photos sparingly (or better, not at all) in letters asking for gifts.
- When using a photo, make sure it is compelling and related to the message. A photo of a person making eye contact with the reader is best. Avoid photos of buildings or unemotional objects.
- When creating acquisition solicitations, a simple design is best.
- Sending a letter mimicking the appearance of an invoice is thought to have better open rates.
- Eliminate unnecessary enclosures, especially brochures. They increase costs and rarely generate income or increased response rates – in fact, they often suppress responses.
- A Customer Reply Envelope (CRE) appears "friendlier" than a Business Reply Envelope (BRE). CREs also have better response rates, and save your organization cost of return postage!
Not finding what you're looking for? Contact Us Directly